Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Food Blog Conundrum

This post is going to be fairly short, but expect a Tuesday Top 10 before the end of the day.



Recently a friend of mine asked a question when I was trying to come up with a theme for a Top 10 (and you know who you are). "You haven't done anything with food in a while, why not?" Ha asked. This is the same person that complimented how well this blog is written, so I could not really be mad. Well, the answer was a little complicated and I actually did not get into the long of it, but I will now.

The short answer was that I had been truly inspired by anything in a while and that film ones are actually a little easier to come up with. The long answer is that maintaining a food blog is incredibly expensive, time consuming, and, honestly, there are so many good ones out there to compete with.

First things first, I do not claim to come up with any recipe on here from scratch. I just can't do that. I am generally complimented on my cooking quite a bit, but nothing I make is from the ground up my recipe. Generally what I end up doing is picking up little things here and there from shows I watch religiously (i.e. "Martha Bakes", "Martha Stewart's Cooking School", "Pati's Mexican Table", "The Chew", and of course "Good Eats") and incorporating them into other recipes.

Like I've said before, I ALWAYS do the recipe as is first, then start messing with it or blending it with other recipes to get the best result IMHO. That's the thing, though, taste is purely subjective. I may like things sweeter than you do, think things are too salty when you don't, (<-use a="" added="" alton="" an="" and="" as="" brine="" brown="" but="" comma="" dammit="" do="" don="" flavor="" for="" garlic="" ginger="" his="" i="" if="" in="" instance="" integral="" is="" it.="" it="" just="" like="" lots="" loves="" of="" omit="" or="" oxford="" p="" recipe="" recipes.="" several="" t.="" t="" the="" too="" turkey="" uses="" you="">
But I digress. I will get on a mission to perfect something and will try recipe after recipe taking bits from one or another and techniques from YouTube videos until I have achieved nirvana for that recipe (an example of this will be the tiramisu I make which I will share later this week). A few months back I was on a mission to create a perfect corn dog. I failed miserably. I could not get the texture and flavor down. I finally gave up and went and bought frozen ones that I deep fried to perfection. I won't be trying that one again. Although I did find the perfect onion ring in the process (add some garlic powder and pepper to the flour and use panko bread crumbs)!

Other times I look for ways to simplify and quicken a recipe without losing flavor so that I don't have to cook all damn day. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to cook and it relaxes me, but after a long day of work I don't want so spend another 8 hours doing spaghetti or fettuccine alfredo (recipe to come).

So, this stuff takes an inordinate amount of time and money and I end up falling back on some of my standards or recipes that don't require any tinkering, so there's no reason to post it here, because it isn't my recipe or it is already on here, lol.

I hope this gives you some insight into why it takes a while between cooking posts. I do have some I'd like to post in the near future. Some are listed somewhere above and some are not, but I promise to have them up fairly soon. I do wonder if I should just take the food out altogether, but I think at least a couple of people would kill me for taking down some of these recipes.

No comments: