Sunday, October 14, 2012

Game First Impressions - Dishonored

First things first. I didn't finish "Borderlands 2" yet. As I said before, if "Dishonored" came out before I was done I was switching over and would go back when finished. That's what has happened. I played quite a bit of "Dishonored" over the weekend, so here's a quick first impression.

First of all, let's get out of the way that this is like "Splinter Cell", "Hitman", and "Bioshock" rolled into one. At least the way I'm playing it feels that way. You see, you can play each mission a great variety of ways; killing and not killing as you see fit, run and gun or stealth. I can see this as a sign of great re-playability. Supposedly the main story only takes about 6 hours to complete, but I'm at least that far in, but haven't even finished the first official mission. Let me clarify that. I'm playing it the absolute hardest way possible, playing non-lethal ghost (you can't kill anyone and no one can be alerted to your presence, like "Hitman") and in order to get a really high achievement I'm not upgrading or buying any powers, so there's been loads of restarting parts and even the prologue. I enjoy that type of gameplay and it isn't ever the same way twice because the paths of the guards changed every time I would reload. Also, if you want low "chaos" you have to hide bodies so they aren't discovered which can be a chore in some areas a la "Splinter Cell".

The visual style isn't like either of those games, though. It is much more like "Bioshock" with a kinda Steampunk/Victorian style and directly apes that game in that the "snacks" and items that are strewn about the areas faintly glow gold when you are near them and curser over them. Another thing that reminds me of "Bioshock" are the audio logs that you'll find in different areas that give you some back story. Don't think I'm bashing it for these things, it actually does them quite well and I really liked these touches in "Bioshock". Character models are as good as "Bioshock" and movements & mannerisms are relatively realistic. The only thing that kinda gets me is that the environments are really nice to look at until you get up close to walls, rocks, or ships, the textures are not rendered very detailed. There's so much detail in the world itself that these "out of focus" looking textures kinda stand out and bug me a bit (I'm playing on the 360, btw). Overall, though, I really like the game so far and would encourage pretty much anyone to play it.

No comments: