Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday - Twist Endings

This week I took the advice of a coworker and decided to do the Top 10 Twist Endings in movies. I LOVE a good twist ending and the problem with that statement is the word "good". Too often they are mediocre twists or I see them coming a mile away. A great filmmaker should be able to either distract you until that moment comes or not give you any clue ahead, but when it's over, it should make sense. That's a really hard thing for many people to do.

As usual, this is my opinion and there are several movies that didn't make my list because I just don't see them as a "twist". To me "Seven" is not a twist ending. A shocker, yes, but it doesn't make you rethink the whole movie and want to watch it again to see what clues you might've missed.

I promise there won't be any spoilers except for the fact that I'm telling you there is a twist. And these are in order from #10 to #1.

"What a twist!" - M. Night Shamalamadingdong via Robot Chicken.


There are quite a few horror movies on here, but this is the mother of all slasher flicks and if you don't know ahead of time, has a hell of a twist in it. I knew the twist before I saw it, so it didn't have quite the impact, but still, it is a great piece of filmmaking.


To me, this one barely makes the cut. I'm sure everyone will cry "Blasphemy!" at that, but I just was not that impressed with the movie overall. The twist is the only thing that really made the movie, so once I knew, I really didn't care all that much about the movie anymore. I agree that it was a good twist, but everything leading up to that point just seemed pretty pointless and "filler" once the big reaveal happened.


A similar movie, I know, but this one had a much better twist than "The Sixth Sense" to me. Especially because you grew to care for the family and understand the strange dynamic then "WHAMMO". On repeated viewings other things start to become clear and more of the character's motivations and a sense of how they're dealing with the predicament they're in becomes more clear.


That's "The Game" if you can't tell. David Fincher's follow up to "Seven" was just as good, if not better. This is still my favorite movie of his and it saddens me that most people haven't heard of it. It has loads of twists and turns, but the finale just makes you go "WHAAAAAAAT?!?". It's on Netflix for streaming, so if you've never seen it, I suggest you watch it tonight.


Another one that I might catch flack for, but this seems to be Nolan's most underrated effort in my humble opinion. There certainly is alot going on plot-wise and viewers can easily get confused in the double-crossings and re-double-crossings, but the final scene where not only one, but TWO game-changing twists are revealed will leave you scrambling for the rewind button.


A heart-wrenching movie that doesn't pull any punches. I really don't have much more to say about it other than be prepared to read subtitles if you don't understand Spanish. Vaguely reminiscent of  Del Toro's (who produced) work in "The Devil's Backbone" this one isn't quite as long and drawn out. Plus it gives you some pretty good scares.


Was there any doubt this would be on the list? And not that ****ty remake from Tim Burton that tried to up the ante and failed miserably. Most people probably know the twist already, but if you don't, please see this fantastic original. Sure the makeup and special effects haven't held up well, but it is a definite social commentary that eventually reveals a surprise that makes you rethink everything.


Ok, top three and the last horror movie, I promise. This one is definitely the least known on this list. A low-budget slasher film from the '80s that easily has one of the best endings. I wouldn't usually put this type of movie only because you expect the killer to be someone you've met somewhere because it is a trope of this type of film, so movies like "Scream" are out because of this rule. "April Fool's Day" does something totally left-field and even if you think you have it figured out, keep watching, because you don't.

These last two could have been flip-flopped either way. I really can't decide. So you can actually consider this a tie. Both are too good for words, but in completely different ways.


This wasn't Bryan Singer's directorial debut, but it's close enough. And when you start out with a bang-up job like this one you're sure to turn some heads. The superb acting by a bunch of relative B-lists and unknowns just made it all the better. The story is pretty intricate and involving, but just doesn't give you any clue as to the safe that's fixing to get dropped on your head right before you exclaim "Holy Shit!".


Not to say anything bad about anyone else in this film (hey, it has one of my favorites of all time in it, Frances McDormand), but this entire movie hinges on the performance of one man: Edward Norton. He's phenomenal in it. Especially since this was his first feature film. It seems to be a straight-forward procedural courtroom drama a la "Law & Order", but just watch and see what happens.

There you have it, Meatheads, my favorite twist endings. Make sure you watch them all, they're definitely worth it.

No comments: